You Don't Need To Be Like Everyone Else


We all have those weird habits, little quirks and things that we have never done which make other people gasp and say "OMG HOW HAVE YOU NEVER DONE THAT EVERYONE DOES THAT?!" Me being no exception.
For starters, I have never watched Titanic. A crime, I know, I'm sorry, but we may as well just dive straight in. Don't get me wrong, I've learnt about the actual event in school and know the basic plot, but have I ever sat down and cried my way through the movie and then got 'My Heart Will Go On' stuck in my head for the rest of the week? Nope.

I have also never seen FRIENDS, you know, that really famous TV show that everyone who has ever lived has watched. Even when the reunion was announced, I couldn't bring myself to get excited about it as I found myself wondering, am I supposed to know these people? Although, it's one of those things which I don't want to watch. A) because I feel like it's too late to jump on the bandwagon and B) because, if I ever watch FRIENDS, I can never say "I've never watched FRIENDS." I have been told that it's something you should want to say anyway, but still, why break the habit of a lifetime?

Reason three why I'm a weirdo is I don't have milk on my cereal. Drinking pure milk straight from the glass by the gallon I have no problem with but drowning my Special K in the stuff until they turn to a pile of mush and impossible to digest? Not really my thing, much to my friends' dismay. I find dry cereal so much more tasty and that it really brings out the unhealthy chocolately taste in Coco Pops or the hardcore sugar that's really bad for your teeth in Frosties. Plus it makes far less of a mess and means you can eat it in bed without having to worry about spilling milk all over your sheets. Dry cereal perks.

If that wasn't enough, I don't eat butter either, although I do find that this is becoming more of a common personality trait, if you could call it that, as many people I know are starting to develop a dislike to the stuff. Dry cereal and dry bread for the win! Although, I'm not the biggest toast fan, but when I do choose to be, I eat that dry too. Personally, I cannot bear anything less than the thought of butter squelching in my mouth as I chew on my sandwich.

A phrase I have become notorious for is "I wasn't a Disney child." When asked "have you seen *insert title of a really popular Disney movie here*" the answer will always be no and, each time it happens, I get one step closer to losing all of my friends. The Lion King? The Little Mermaid? Aladdin? Neither of those are in my DVD collection and I would find it almost impossible to give you a run down of their plots. I didn't even watch High School Musical until the third one was out and the hype had well and truly died down.
Same goes for TV shows, Hannah Montana, Suite Life Of Zack And Cody (literally had to Google how to spell that one) and whatever else people my age used to watch, just weren't my shows. I was more of a CBBC girl to be honest. I remember being given a Hannah Montana t-shirt once and only wore it once when I travelled to Cornwall for eight hours in the car.

Back to foods I cannot stomach, other items on the list are bacon, Nutella or roast dinners, and my dislike for these things often makes me question if I am even supposed to be British. I remember my Mum once attempted to get me to eat a plate of bacon when I was younger, attempted being the operative word as I sat at our kitchen table for a good three hours, shouting and screaming at the pure vileness of the meat, until she finally gave up.

We all have little quirks that make our friends and families question whether we are actually human or not. Along with the above, I don't swear, I have never had Facebook, have never owned a Blackberry phone, nor have I ever been to a party or do I drink fizzy drinks, but they all make us us.
I want you to endeavour to turn those personality traits which others view as weird into positives! Don't let people use them against you and don't use them against yourself. Turn them around into jokes and laugh it off when people make fun of you for them. I know my friends, family and I all laugh now at the fact that I've never watched Titanic and whenever my friends start a sentence with "have you ever watched..." they don't even bother to finish it and instantly realise who they're talking to and so say "never mind."
If everyone loved the same movies, at the same foods, drank the same drinks and had the same hobbies, the world would be a very boring place. We need variety and we need you to bring that variety, so don't let people make you feel like an outcast. Your differences, your quirky little things make society a diverse, better place. Don't conform to the norms of what you're supposed to do or what you're supposed to like. If you don't want to eat something, if you don't want to wear something, if you don't want to watch something, then don't!

You aren't like everyone else and that is a blessing.

Let me know what unique little quirks you have! I would absolutely love to know! Maybe you have some of the same as me...<3

Love, Emily :) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment