This Is Not The End Of One Direction


Yesterday saw worldwide superstars One Direction perform for the final time before their well overdue sabbatical, starting in the new year. They performed on The X Factor UK, which is where it all started. They returned home for one final time and boy did they go out with a bang...


I hadn't anticipated how hard I was going to sob. Of course, it was always going to be emotional. I mean, I have dedicated the past five years of my life to these boys and I now had to come to terms with the fact that I won't be seeing them together for a while, however, I didn't expect to be such an emotional wreck, although, that being said, I guess you never know what to expect when it comes to One Direction! As soon as they began singing 'Infinity' that was it. I was gone. My glasses had steamed up, making the next few minutes rather painful as I wasn't able to admire their beauty to the best of my ability, and, soon enough, the whale noises had begun. I was blubbering like a baby, and I feel no shame. The X Factor then decided that killing a fandom once simply wasn't enough and had to show a video of our favourite celebrities wishing the boys well on their break AND then good old Uncle Simon had to go and do a speech, didn't he? If all that wasn't enough, the boys then performed 'History' whilst old photos from the past five years were shown on the screen behind them. They then had a group hug at the end, which was the moment when I began planning my funeral.
It was an emotional night for both us and the boys because the start of the hiatus was finally in sight but we only feel emotional because we care. Although, the boys' hiatus does in no way signify their end.


Before the boys had even had chance to decide they were going on a hiatus, the newspapers were RIGHT THERE. They were like children on Christmas Day. It wasn't long before headlines claiming they were splitting up were saturating the Internet. If I had a pound for every time I read the pun "One Direction are going in different directions" I would be able to buy One Direction. I'm sure your friends and families were the same too, I know mine struggled to shut up about how "they've had enough of each other" "they're never getting back together "that's it now." and quite frankly, it was very irritating, not because I refused to accept the fact that I would never hear any new music from them again, but because they all could not be more wrong.


Since they formed in 2010, One Direction have just got stronger. They have just kept winning more awards, beating more records, smashing the charts, creating amazing music just when you thought they had reached their peak. They have grown up in front of our very eyes from baby faced petals into mature, respectful, handsome men and, personally, I feel honoured to have watched that and grown up with them. Why would they stop when the world is still at their feet? Five years really isn't a long time, and it has absolutely flown by. and, if they can achieve the things they have in the past five years, God only knows what they can do in another five. They have said themselves, they have many more things to tick of their lists, they have by no means 'made it.' Why give it all up when it would be the biggest mistake of all?


Plus, the boys love music. They love writing it, they love recording it, they love performing it, it is part of who they are now. Yes they can still write songs and sing in the shower if they were to split up, but it simply would not be the same as creating an album and touring it for millions of loyal fans across the globe. Since starting out, the boys have become more and more involved with the writing process, clearly loving the rush it gives them and how it allows them to express their deepest emotions. Imagine if that was taken away from them? Personally, I don't think they would know what to do with themselves. We all love music, but when you have the power to create it yourself, completely from scratch, you would never want to give that up.


Another thing we all know for certain that One Direction would never want to give up is performing. Touring is obviously tiring, but, they have said themselves, nothing compares to the feeling you get when you walk out to a stadium of 80,000 people who are all there to see you. No matter what kind of day you are having, the simple sound of fans' screams and the sight of their glow sticks flashing in the air instantly removes any unhappy thoughts from your head. The guys love being on stage and they make their music to tour. You only have to watch the way Louis' face lights up when he sees the crowd singing along, or how Liam beams when the audience respond to his "SING IT," or the way Niall jumps ten feet in the air when the beat drops or the way Harry shakes his hair whilst dancing like a crazy man, no matter what song they are singing, to see that performing is what they love and it gives them the world's biggest buzz. They love making their fans happy at their shows, always ensuring that they are having the best time, and they know how much we adore seeing them perform, so, once again, why would they stop?


One Direction are not taking a break because they want to split up, they are taking a break because they want to last.

One Direction are all SO young, I feel like people sometimes forget. Of course, realistically, the band won't stay together forever, but they have so much more time ahead of them. Harry, for example, is only 21, an age at which most people are in University and still have no idea what they want to do with their lives. They have had to grow up fast, constantly being in the spotlight, but they are still babies and have their whole lives ahead of them. Personally, I think, if One Direction were to split now, I have absolutely no idea what they would all do with themselves for the next 60 years?!


However, it is very important to remember that our boys need this break and I cannot WAIT for it! I don't know about you, but seeing them with dark circles underneath their eyes breaks my heart. They need sleep. In a proper bed. They have lived in cars, aeroplanes, boats, trains, helicopters and buses for the last five years, never knowing whether they are coming or going. I think they must have surely reached a state of permanent jetlag! No matter how comfortable they claim the tour bus is, it can't do anyone any good sleeping in those beds every night, no matter how young and fit you are! Knowing that they will be able to go to sleep every night for a year and not have to set an alarm for the next morning fills me with joy (and jealousy) and it only means they will come back more alive and rejuvenated than ever. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is far better to have four AWAKE boys jumping around on stage than it is to have four zombies who can't even sing a line without yawning?


Another thing I think people don't realise is how little time the boys spend with their families. Everyone is aware that they're always away from home, but I think we ought to realise how much they have sacrificed to do what they love, for us. Niall spent something stupid like three weeks at home last year. They miss out on the things we take for granted, such as family nights in front of the TV with a takeaway or even the little arguments about whose turn it is to wash the dishes. Fame comes with a price and its just a shame that price has to be being away from loved ones. This break will allow the boys to make up for lost time and do things they haven't been able to do. Of course, they have brought family members and friends on tour with them, but you can't really have a proper heart to heart with your Mum backstage at your concert five minutes before you're about to go on stage and everyone is faffing around you, trying to get you dressed and fix your hair, can you?


We all need change in our lives. If we all did the same thing, day in, day out every year, we would probably get bored, hence why the boys are taking a hiatus, because they don't want it to get boring, they don't want being adored by millions to become the norm. They need some time to do their own things, whether that be write songs for other people, play sport, or even just do nothing. Their minds need time to take in everything that has happened. They have won countless awards, but do they actually get to look at them? They're collecting dust on their shelves at home, where they can't be appreciated. Plus, taking time away will allow the boys to go back and travel to the places they may have previously spent a few hours in. They can go back and think "ahh remember when we played that show here" or "ooh remember when we went to that awards show here." They can appreciate the true beauty of the amazing countries they have travelled to and take as much time as they need to relax there. And hey, I bet the boys will be greatly inspired to write new songs during their break! I mean, when you're on tour for five years, the only thing you really have to write songs about is how it feels to be on tour, but now, they have the freedom to write about whatever they want!


This little break is going to be nothing, I promise you guys. We have survived so much in 2015 alone, never mind the past five years of One Direction, I am adamant that we can survive 18 months of them not making music! Soon enough, it will become the norm for us. We will have adjusted to them being on a break and may even have a bit of a social life by then! (One can dream, right!?) We have nothing to worry about. Our boys haven't fallen out, it wouldn't still be working if they had, they haven't had enough, they simply just need some time out, that's all. Our family is the strongest unit I know and I have great belief that we will be even stronger when the boys return.
I feel as though the sabbatical has been totally blown out of proportion by everyone other than the people actually going on the sabbatical; One Direction. The media have decided that this is the end of this band, but it is simply the end of their first chapter. The story is far from over.


We have no idea what is going to happen during the break, but I am really looking forward to it! You never know, other positive things may come from it, such as the boys becoming more active on social media, making surprise appearances at events we didn't know they were attending. and hey, if we're lucky, Harry may even take a few selfies. ;)


Both us and our boys have an indescribable bond which could never be broken. We have done too many incredible things and changed too many lives for that to happen. This hiatus is not a goodbye but a see you later. It is not forever, it is just for now. Plus, here is something that will make you smile; every second that passes from now on is a second closer to One Direction's return, which I think is beautiful.


I shall now leave you with the lyrics to what I believe to be one of the most personal, raw and meaningful 1D songs to ever exist. It is our song, HISTORY because, I assure you, we WILL live forever.

[Harry:]
You've gotta help me, I'm losing my mind
Keep getting the feeling you wanna leave this all behind
Thought we were going strong
I thought we were holding on
Aren't we?
 [Niall:]
No, they don't teach you this in school
Now my heart's breaking and I don't know what to do
Thought we were going strong
Thought we were holding on
Aren't we?
 [All:]
You and me got a whole lot of history (oh)
We could be the greatest team that the world has ever seen
You and me got a whole lot of history (oh)
So don't let it go, we can make some more, we can live forever
 [Liam:]
All of the rumors, all of the fights
But we always find a way to make it out alive
Thought we were going strong
Thought we were holding on
Aren't we?
 [All:]
You and me got a whole lot of history (oh)
We could be the greatest team that the world has ever seen
You and me got a whole lot of history (oh)
So don't let it go, we can make some more, we can live forever
 [Louis:]
Mini bars, expensive cars, hotel rooms, and new tattoos
And the good champagne, and private planes, but they don't mean anything
'Cause the truth is out, I realize that without you here life is just a lie
This is not the end
This is not the end
We can make it, you know it, you know
 [All:]
You and me got a whole lot of history (oh)
We could be the greatest team that the world has ever seen
You and me got a whole lot of history (oh)
So don't let it go, we can make some more, we can live forever
 [All:]
You and me got a whole lot of history (oh)
We could be the greatest team that the world has ever seen
You and me got a whole lot of history (oh)
So don't let it go, we can make some more, we can live forever
 [Harry:]
So don't let me go
So don't let me go
 [All:]
We can live forever
 [Liam:]
Baby don't you know
Baby don't you know
 [All:]
We can live forever


I adore you guys. Seriously.

Love, Emily :) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment